Sunday, May 30, 2010

Red Wing: it's not just a black bird or a work shoe...


Sometimes people are just real good people. Bottom line. And there's nothing quite as nice as sharing the company of real good people. I am supremely lucky to know a few of this type. Honest. Hard working. Fun. FUNNY. Loving. Warm hearted. Well adjusted. Principled. Open minded but focused. Intelligent. Generous. Culinary (oops, it's not all about food, I swear!) It just so happens that my friends, Beth and Christopher of Red Wing Farm, not only are dripping with good character, they always have lots and lots of good food. Maybe it is because they are farmers of a righteous organic veggie farm in the Swannanoa River Valley and grow several acres of lovingly nourished mixed crops. It's one of my favorite places to visit. I am always greeted for a few minutes at the house, poured a glass of cool homemade mead (this time it was made with home grown red zinger hibiscus) and then led out to the gardens to stroll and admire the goings on. This past visit the other evening, first stop was a snapping turtle preparing to lay eggs in a flower bed. Then we strolled past the specialty foxglove, through the flowers and herbs (tallest valerian I ever saw), through the blauwschokkers peas, into the garlic field (adjacent to the potato field), by the adorable Airstream which houses one of the interns, and rambled hither and yonder, tasting, smelling, conversing at a perfect leisurely pace. Dear friends "P" and "G" were also there as was Nicole, one of the summer interns. We would have likely ambled along down to the Swannanoa River and enjoyed the tinkling of the (much cleaner now) water for a while, but dusk fell and we got hongry. So we headed back to the house for yet another stellar meal by Beth and peach pie by "P". Dinner was followed by more engaging conversation, the type that actually means something, not just a bunch of stupid chit chat. A bone to chew on for a while, if you will. And I will. I'm going to savor that bone and make it last until the next time I am fortunate enough to spend another evening with those lovely people.













3 comments:

Milkweed said...

You are so gosh darn sweet. That is my favorite photo montage of our place EVER. I love it. THANK YOU for your lovely words and fabulous eye and gorgeous photos! And of course thanks for visiting. You can come by any old time. I love passing the time with you.

PS: I am not sure of the name of that foxglove, except that I was told by the person I got it from that it was "Greek" foxglove ... ? And I have not been able to find any eggs where that she-turtle was doing her thang, but I wonder if she buried them? I'm just going to work around the big hole in the flowerbed and see what happens. Maybe a whole mess of baby snappers will come pouring out of there one day.

Love to you, Dana!

rachel said...

Nice one Dane! Love the title and love the beautiful photos!

Dusti said...

What a bunch of delights! Sounds wonderful.
I have never sen a snapper laying eggs, only box turtles and red ear sliders. My snapping turtle this weekend was especially grody...I think my own blog post is in order for that one. I will just say this: dead, bloated, putrid big snapper floating right in MY swimming hole. The Pearson clan still went in...