Monday, May 24, 2010

There's Always Something

One of my favorite things about The Holler is that there's always something of strange and utmost interest going on. I am talking about things that seem to come out of the proverbial "left field," so to speak. I should not be surprised because the frequency of these little events is fairly constant, but the bizarreness of some of the goings-on never ceases to catch me off guard and delight the piss out of me (not literally, you should know.) Last night The Holler residents gathered at Todd and Susie's shack to view some of Susie's amazing video footage that she filmed in the tribal regions of India she visited this spring. As we gathered to commune and shoot the shit and eat awesome foodlets (which is gloriously abundant in the Holler), Susie casually said to me, "Have you seen my electrocuted bullfrog yet?" It was in the middle of some other breeze shooting and Todd was under my truck attempting to secure my new O2 sensor nuts, so it took me a minute to realize what Susie was actually saying. She was telling me she had an electrocuted bullfrog in her possession. When I informed her that I had neither seen it nor heard about it, she scurried off into the shack to get it. Apparently she had been at her work (gardening for a family with a sizable estate in Weaverville), and found this bullfrog in the yard. When she approached the lady of the house to inquire if she could have it (yes that's right, she inquired if she could have the dead frog), the lady nonchalantly said something along the lines of, "Oh, that thing- those bullfrogs are always getting electrocuted on our livestock fence." Oh, naturally. The thing Susie pulled out and showed me surprised me so much and she was just so proud of it, I had to do a little photo shoot of the two of them and a most lovely and luscious (and probably deadly) digitalis. Susie kept saying, "Are you seeing its hands? Look at its hands!"


4 comments:

Aimee said...

The one of Susie and the frog lovingly smiling at each other as if they are a couple in love is particularly chuckle worthy.

Dusti said...

I LOVE it! This Susie is highly regarded in my opinion. She knows a good things when she finds it. The unfortunate bullfrog IS amazing! It reminds me of a book we (me, Dad and Bran) read when I was about 11; it was about poor country kids having to rustle up something to take to show & tell at school. The city kids always brought rich kid stuff, but the things the country kids brought were awesome! The list of country kid show & tell items includes a board with various animal droppings shallaced, the Family Post Hole Digger, a cigarette butt collection and a road killed toad.
This electrocuted bullfrog would be excellent for any show & tell scenario, as Susie already knows. I LOVE that she asked the lady if she could have it, as if the lady would say "Oh, NO. That is MY good damn electrocuted bullfrog!"

Girl In An Apron said...

I don't know what could be cooler than that post?

amy said...

I can't wait to see what kind of Electrocuted Bullfrog Shrine comes out of this.