Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hard to Believe












I find it hard to believe that I actually have a place to call home. And that it is 20 acres. And that it is incredibly beautiful. And peaceful. And its own watershed. And in a safe and loving holler community.
I find it hard to believe that people will come out and shed their very own sweat and blood for the sake of me making my home in this place. Freely. And happily.

I had another work day yesterday, and it rocked the free world. We cut and stacked more 12 ft long hemlock logs for the future out building (and for clearing of the future garden). We also cleared some more trees from the house site and from the old logging road (which we holler residents like to hike) and stacked a shit ton more firewood. The day was hot. The sweat was flowing, as was the sweet tea. Participants were Leonard and Deanna, Laura and Eduard, JB, Rachel ("Girl in an Apron" minus the apron), Mom, Susie and Todd, and Mecho (who very quietly started dissembling the roof thingy that he and other studly neighborhood men built for me last year over the Airstream.) (The roof thingy will be moved, along with the Airstream, up to the land soon.)

Man, those friends sure can work. Eduard, the Belgium work horse, showed once again that he is a true hoss, as did Deanna, who is small but packs quite a punch! Leonard, the multi-talented electrician, got it going on with some good ole fashioned tree cutting down (well I guess all the men did). Laura, Rachel, Deanna and Mom hauled wood and brush up and down hills faster than I could figure out what was happening. JB did a bit of everything, true to form, and offered much good and amusing commentary. I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to keep up with the crews and answer questions and make quick decisions and such. So much happens so fast with a hard working team! Dad and Jenna made a surprise appearance on their way home from their 10 DAY ROAD TRIP TO NEW YORK!!! It was quite a day.

Marc Williams, botanist and friend, was scheduled to come lead a plant walk after the work day was over, but we had to reschedule due to a very sizable hail and electrical storm which descended upon the holler at about 4:30. Luckily we heard the rumbling in the distance in enough time to call him with a heads up and to finish up our projects and pack up. Too bad we couldn't sit around leisurely and drink beer and bourbon and fire up one of the brush piles as a bon fire, but that storm was vicious! The only thing I didn't have time for was planting the yellow and pink ladyslippers plants that my buddies J and G Shelton brought me from their place on Spillcorn. Check em out- I had never laid eyes upon a yellow one before. Ain't it purty? I find it hard to believe that someone has enough yellow ladyslippers to dig them up and share them with casual acquaintances.
I guess I'd better settle in and get used to being amazed by things that happen and people and this incredible place that I am getting to call mine for a while.
Thanks everyone who came Saturday for blowing my mind!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great pictures Dane! The one of Laura looking like queen of the woods is the best! What a lovely profile she has! I had a great time! Thanks for the bangin' cookies!

Dusti said...

Wow, I'd love to be in on some of that holler livin' homesteadin' action. Did you get any pictures of the Belgian? I'd love to see! You are just livin' in Heaven on Earth Dana, I'm so happy for you!

amy said...

Howdy there Dana. I sure would like to be included in some of this sweatin' and drinkin' you're hosting up at your new place so please keep me in the email loop!

amymooredesigns [at!] gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Dane, wish we could be out there helping out. Can't wait to see the land. JMT2