Friday, October 1, 2010

Diversion

It's been a week packed with all sorts of intense life experiences for me, the theme being "the edge." There is definitely some sort of river of intensity running through my world and making me access strange but potent parts of my humanity. Instead of trying to write about all that, I will divert my attention to something easy and light to share with you: some (that's right-it's not all) of the various projects going on in my kitchen right now.

1. Fruit cocktail wine being racked... This is the process of siphoning the wine off of the sediment to improve the clarity of the final product. I made this wine several years ago when I moved out of the darned Garage Apartment. I took all the fruit I had in the freezer there, thawed it out, mashed it up, added sugar and yeast and let it do its thang. I forgot about it in Susie and Todd's outbuilding for 3 years, but guess what- it's fine! I might even throw in a litte muslin sack of cornmeal in there- Carl Rice recommendation to increase the proof of the fermentation.



2. Usnea tincture being made... I scored some lovely lichens on my recent little trippy-poo to Max Patch, and then I scored some more out at the land from some of the trees that Carl Rice took down and milled up for me. Holler if you would like some to help you ward off intruding winter ailments.



3. Pumpkin pie waiting to be made... A volunteer winter squash (candy roaster-ish in nature) grew out at the land this summer from some compost I put on a yellow wood tree. I cooked it up and am fixing to make a pie crust for it. My mom recently taught me the motherly art of making a killer homemade pie crust.

4. Unicorn/Pegasus hybrid clock with fake roses repair... Mary Helen (bless her) trash picked me this beautiful artifact at the local convenience store. I am going to try to take it apart and clean out the moisture condensation from inside the face. Then I'm going to polish the whole thing up real pretty and hang it in the Airstream. It is obvious why this is worth the effort.



5. Bottling and labling this summer's linden blossom mead, concocted by Sally and me on the summer solstice... It is clear and ready to go. I got my nerve up and asked Heidi (awesome artist) to make a label for them that I can reproduce, and she said yes. They will be in German, and they will be gorgeous. If you are nice you can drink some with me.



OK, that was easy, and relieved the blogger's block (how cheesy can I get?????) Thank you for reading.
Dana

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always nice to you,Eduard.

Unknown said...

...I'm always nice, too! Trade you pancakes?

Meg said...

Hey Dane,
I/my fam. would love some tincture if you can spare some= I know usnea was a main ingredient in Gilda's mix that Simon and I ran out out of. I hope all is well with you,
Meg

Girl In An Apron said...

God help us if the river of intensity gets in the way of the peaceful harmony cast by the unicorn/pegasus clock. Be ever so careful when taking it apart and putting it back together. The veil is thin right now my friend.

Colleen and Andy said...

Love the spotlight on kitchen projects. I love seeing projects underway and some of what you are making

chauncey said...

Speaking of unicorns, Beckett would like a vanity plate like the one you scored for Mira at the (state?) fair. He has asked for orange, which I knew you and Meggie would approve of.

Holla!

love you oodles.

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

What! No chocolate truffles?

Anonymous said...

shock and awe my friend! would you believe that i have that very same clock in my bathroom...except that mine has TWO pegasus(pegasi?) let me know if you get it working.
love zoe

amy said...

I may inquire about that usnea tincture next time I see you.