Monday, October 11, 2010

Sepulture Part Three (sorry Eddie)

Eddie specifically asked me to not write a third part to "Sepulture." I just can't help it. Yesterday LC and JC dug out and piped the spring. I was real nervous it would get messed up or move or get mad. Something. I talked to it and asked mother Mary to watch over it. You see, the water makes the place. LC tells me that over and over and I believe it. He claims that he has drunk a total of a gallon of water in his life- just can't stand to drink it, but he loves water. He said the 3 1/2 gallons per minute that spring is flowing is more valuable than the whole rest of the place. I pretty much agree- that and the kick ass soil!
Anyhoo, they dug back in the spring until it was pretty clear where it was coming up from the ground. There was a rock bed behind it. A thin layer of gravel was laid, and over that was laid a 4 inch closed of pipe with slits in it. That was attached to an open 4 inch pipe and then 3 or more deep feet of gravel were laid on top. The whole ordeal was buried (sepultured) in soil so that the final result is a pipe coming out of the hill with pure water streaming from it at all times. This is the beginning of the branch that flows all the way down to Susie and Todd's and meets up with Gentry Branch, which flows to the Shelton Laurel, which empties into the Laurel, which ends up in the French Broad at Stackhouse. In case you were wondering. God help me Daniel Boone to take good care of that water as best I can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets get drinking from that purely good old H2O; looks good Dana.
Eddie

Anonymous said...

Dana Dee - I love you and these stories. Thank you!

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

I want to develop my spring too, but don't know how. Did you hire someone? I found out that my little spring water ends up in Blythe Branch and then into the French Broad and then into the Mississippi River. The Mississippi branches off to form Bayou Lafourche which goes through the town where I was born (Thibodaux) in South Louisiana. Somehow I like that idea, and feel connected by that to my roots.

Milkweed said...

You are a good un, Dana Dee. Can't wait to come up there and see the progress and taste that water. xo