Friday, October 8, 2010

Sepulture



self portrait in septic tank


Sepulture Part One:
I now have a legal septic system. God help us all.






A few notes: The waste goes into the concrete tank from the house. The solids (aka fecal matter and such) sink and stay in one portion of the tank, while the liquids rise and go to another compartment. Then the liquids exit the tank and filter out into the drain field through 80 ft long pipes with perforations. The pipes are surrounded by styrofoam peanuts for some reason, supposedly to assist with percolation. The government maintains their position that this system is better than composting waste, as if mother nature didn't know how to take care of that mess. So I am legal. That won't stop me from composting whatever under the sun I get a notion to compost. So how do you like them apples, Uncle?

Stay tuned for Sepulture Part Two

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear, I know why the styrophoam is, to protect the pipes. I am looking forward to part 2 sepulture, but please spare me for part 3.
Eduard.

chauncey said...

can't wait to poop at your new digs.

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

Congratulations. I have one too but am also planning on an outdoor compost toilet. (and an outdoor shower).
I wanted to comment on your soil. It looks really beautiful, rich and dark and no rocks. My soil is red rocky clay and we had difficulty in finding good enough soil for my drain field.

illianawilson said...

Dios mio, ayudanos! :)

Girl In An Apron said...

Screw the freakin' government. . .glad you're legal and all, but I say go where you please!

Great post Dane! Love the first pic, highly contemporary.