Sunday, September 26, 2010

Road Fight

I have always wanted to have the opportunity to have words with the people who tailgate me when I am driving, which happens every day because I actually drive the speed limit. I am not primarily motivated by a need to observe the law, but rather my need to feel like I am travelling at a somewhat safe speed. I like to be able to have time to see and comprehend and respond to road activity, like pedestrians, animals, and other drivers. I routinely avoid hitting animals because I can see them and respond safely and effectively. Madison County, where I live, is the worst place that I experience tailgaters. It seems that everyday there is someone riding my ass so close I could almost reach back and give them a high five. The other day I was driving home from work. I had decided to drive along the river because I had been tipped off that I-26 was clogged up. I was driving near the Buncombe/Madison line when a large white Dodge pickup started tailgating. He road my tail for a few minutes until he got a dotted line, and then he passed me. As I sometimes do, I flicked off the tailgater as he passed.
When the dude got in front of me, he came to a dead stop, thereby blocking one of the two lanes on the road. When I stopped, I thought to myself, "oh here goes..." The guy, who was incidentally driving a Metropolitan Sewage District work truck, hung out the window and the following conversation/ yelling match followed:

Dude: Fuck you, ma'am!
Dana: Well, that wasn't very nice!
Dude: Why did you flick me off then?
Dana: Because you were riding my ass about this close (gestures with hands) for
about five minutes!
Dude: Why didn't you quit your piddlin' and pull over to let me by?
Dana: I was going the speed limit!
Dude: Speed limit's 45!
Dana: I know what the speed limit is!
Dude: You were going 40!
Dana: I was going 45! Just go now! (flicks her hand angrily to wave him away)

After a brief moment of silence, both parties oddly wave bye-bye and drive away. I will also mention that 1 or 2 cars had to pass in the opposing lane while the confrontation was occurring.

I have 3 main things to say about that dude:

1) The way he was driving was dangerous.
2) The way he was driving was rude.
3) A man, especially a man working for a public service, should not talk to a lady that way.

Having said those things, I will admit that it was interesting to have the opportunity to have words with a tailgater. Both of us said our piece and then that was it. It was funny that he called me Ma'am.

(post script) I was riding into Asheville last night in the rain with my mom and sister. Mom was driving. We were close to the Madison/Buncombe line and a truck whizzed by mom on a dotted line. It was the same truck! I exclaimed, " That's the guy I got into a road fight with the other day!" Mom said, " That guy has been tailgating me for a while." The jerk-off. Twice in one week. Three times and I'm reporting him. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dana, I agree with the previous comment; you do not have to put up with this. Turn in that dude. Eduard.

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

Ever notice it's usually a younger guy in a very large 3/4 ton pickup with huge tires, fog lights and extra grills and stuff? Maybe they are are always late for an off road rally or something like that.
I have learned to quit flipping people off no matter how much they deserve it. I figure its better to swallow my anger than to get shot or beat up.

Anonymous said...

Definitely report this guy. He is a public servant and should be working for the public, not endangering it. Also, when he hits someone one of these days, the driver is going to sue him and Buncombe County, especially if the victim is hurt badly. That means the county, aka tax payers, will pay for legal services. Bottom line, report the guy now so that he gets a warning, hopefully, or a note in his file.

In general, it's good to report product defects and other dangers, as many companies must keep records of complaints. When there is a lawsuit, this prevents the company from claiming ignorance and can help a genuine plaintiff recover appropriate damages.