Monday, January 19, 2009

Third weekend in January: ice, mead and a porky product party

Sunday found me iced into the holler- a solid sheet of ice covered the entire driveway. I had S and T over for a belated birthday breakfast for S. We had "west coast french toast" and tea and then topped it off with hot chocolate spiked with brandy. They stayed a while and it was cozy and fun. Then I mosied up to the Mecho's to see what was going on up there. Well, little did I know there was a gathering already going on and the blackberry blueberry mead was flowing and the pork products were in full swing (see Moonmeadow Farm blog about recent hog killings.) Well, 3 glasses of mead and a bunch of laughing and carrying on later, I decided I was hungry and guess what food was available...
First I will tell any readers who do not already know that when I am sober I find porky products pretty much utterly nasty (except an occasional piece of Hickory Nut Gap sausage or a freshly fried up home cured piece of Mecho bacon). But apparently when I am drunk and happy, I think they sound really appealing. I kicked the personal porky product party off with some pig tongue. Then I moved on to a cup of pig head broth. I topped off the experience with some pig liver pudding. I will say, the broth was very very good and delicious, and I would like to eat it again (except I think the rest of it was used to make "head cheese," which I suppose I will have to try next). The icing on the porky product cake was that I got to fumble through a large pot of cooked head parts and fish out the jaw bones and take pliers to extract large and small pig teeth. It was really, really fun. Anyone who enjoys taking out teeth and pushing them back in is twisted and messed up... Ooops, I mean those people are really cool and enlightened. There was this weird gray gelatinous substance inside the big tusks, and I considered eating it (for probably the same reason I considered eating some of the deer brains that fated night), but, once again, I didn't.

3 comments:

Milkweed said...

dang. i guess that's how y'all roll up in the laurel.

what is "west coast french toast" ?

Dana said...

West Coast french toast is french toast that is eaten by Todd and Susie.

Anonymous said...

Another WNC farm to keep your blog tabs on ...
http://www.crossingpointfarm.blogspot.com/
cheers
VA