Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009's First Weekend: seed swap and gun shooting


Stacey's first shot with her 20 gauge


"T" getting serious


me getting serious


Don't mess with the ladieez



If my first weekend of the year offers any insight into the essence of 2009, I am stoked (well all except for about an hour of getting thoroughly spooked at the seed swap, but first things first...) The seed swap at Beth and Christopher's place was my kind of fun (see link to Milkweed Diaries blog). Sitting around drinking all sorts of mead and playing with seeds and shooting the shit about gardening and homegrown food is really and truly my kind of a good time. Beth and Christopher win a special award for hospitality in my little invisible book of awards, for providing a very warm and comfortable environment, awesome homegrown food served (no potluck, yay!) and very interesting and worthwhile friends to visit with. Oh, yeah, and there's always the option of taking a dip in the wood fired hot tub out under the Swannanoa sky. The openness of the Swannanoa River Valley opens all sorts of psychic portholes into imagining native life on that very soil many many thousands of moons ago. Conversation after the seed swap and dinner was "bumpin'" and ventured into some dark and spooky places for a while, as well as some good old clean fun places. Being surrounded by loving good people was crucial during the scary stories (about a local serial killer). Thanks to B and C for another wonderful evening.
Sunday was a day at home. I did some bush-whacking on the land for a while, exploring through the brambles and overgrown pasture and baby forest. It was a whopping 70 degrees, and I was sweating in a tee shirt. Then in the afternoon, SG came over for some gun shooting practice (on inanimate targets). She and I both acquired 20 gauge shotguns last year, and this was SG's first time shooting hers. We met up with S and T and shot the hell out of some Busch Light cans. Please enjoy the visuals from our photo shoot of the occasion.
My evening after that was spent chilling out, making and eating homemade vegetable soup and reading my current very good book, Equinox, written by a South Dakota falconer about his personal experiences with falconry.
Please, if there is a god out there, let 2009 be awesome...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

officially the BEST photo so far of 2009!

Sara said...

Best boobs of 2009!

Milkweed said...

Despite my pacifist leanings, i cannot help but not how BADASS you gun-toting women look. A woman who knows how to handle a firearm is gosh darn downright sexy.

Badass.

The seed swap was positively namby pamby by comparison. But it was fun, and you and your side ponytail and unicorn pendant made it all the more fabulous.

I too was really spooked by the serial killer talk, but I didn't have gun practice to help me work it out the next day.

Anonymous said...

hey d check this out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

Anonymous said...

may i put one of these pictures of this super righteous trio on my facebook page?

Julia said...

Now those are some fine, FINE ladies!

Anonymous said...

hooray for fornicating unicorn tshirts.
hooray for you.
hooray for 2009.
PS. I am watching America's Funniest Home Videos.