Saturday, September 6, 2008

Quilting in the Airstream, black widows and thoughts




The other night I fired up the ole orange lights on the Airstream and had SM over for some quilting. We are involved in a community baby quilt for a friend in Hot Springs. It was quite exciting to quilt in there while drinking tea/beer (depending on the person) and eating toast. We laughed a lot.

On a more serious note, I was doing some gardening work for a friend on Ox Creek yesterday, and she found a large, beautiful black widow under a piece of wood in one of the flower gardens. We admired her for a good while, and then I killed her. We accidentally lost her egg sack somehow, but I was going to destroy it too. I do not like killing spiders, but I am willing to kill poisonous types when they are around the home or garden. I am thinking that a more appropriate action would have been to trap her and her egg sack and take them far far away. What do the readers think?

That experience led me to ponder the whole activity of gardening and what a strange thing it is- to bust your ass creating an environment that is, in a sense, artificial, even though it contains natural, living organisms. I guess I can understand the evolutionary purpose of gardening for food and why humans began to switch to agriculture some 10,000 years ago, but what is up with our desire to landscape or replace the native flora with pockets of foreign plant matter that are arranged in a way that we find appealing? And why do we go to such lengths with labor, resources and poisons to keep out the life forms that we don't want in those pockets of bizarreness? We are a strange people, and I kind of hope to god there are no such things as aliens to come down and school us on how weird we are on our planet. For the record, I would, however, welcome lessons of wisdom any day from elusive terristrial creatures such as bigfoot... Do you think sasquatch grow flower gardens? Do they kill black widows? What would a lady-squatch do if she found a copperhead under the front porch of her hut?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as a mom, it makes me sad that she had to die. is that weird?