Monday, September 1, 2008

Dear Meg (for all to read, especially Meg)

Dear Meg,
It's funny that you mentioned the box car kids and them keeping the food cold in a nearby stream. The reason it is funny is that I am keeping some of my food cold in a nearby stream. In fact, I was just daydreaming today about how I could construct a cooler to fit into my little water hole that I dug out in the creek. That way I can keep more "perishables" on hand than can fit into my tiny little camper refrigerator. I am also scheming about putting gutters on the barn to collect rainwater, and pondering how to store the rainwater without it getting funky or freezing in the winter. And I would like to figure out how to heat it and channel it into an outdoor shower or bathtub so I can comfortably clean myself. So, there you have it. Not so much different than the boxcar kids after all.

So the Airstream got moved (by my dad and TM) last Monday. Last Thursday, CH finished the electrical wiring from the temporary pole to the camper, and Friday evening CM (almost) finished building my bed. I moved in late Friday night, and proceeded to not really sleep much because I forgot my blankets and I was cold as hell. Saturday I scrambled to get ready for the "Hoo-HA in the holler" party, which occurred Saturday evening. It was fun. People came out and checked out the Airstream on the way down to S and T's, which was looking ever so lovely after the rain. S's flowers are in full blooming exquisite regalia mode. There are bright colors and shapes exploding from every nook and corner of their little flower farm. I set up a hospitality station at the Airstream and served cucumber cream cheese sandwiches with the crusts cut off (on white bread), ants on a log (made with almond butter), biscotti, mint julips and gin and tonics. In the morning I discovered that someone had decorated the path to the outhouse with a plethora of varied colored fake flowers. It was real nice. I wish you could come over. I especially wish that we could do a dance routine together with SM. Please say hello to the family.
Love, Dana




4 comments:

jord. said...

Sounds like a fun party!

Anonymous said...

I am so honored to be mentioned on your outstanding blog. I clicked on all the pictures and looked for a long time.Jenna looks great, it's been awhile since I saw her. Your place is a beaut. I like the blue interior- you choice?, and that you have a patio seating area. Whenever I have parties I, too like to serve finger sandwiches. I also like the idea that you could just pick up and move to Austin and live in our driveway if I really tried to talk you into it.
Love you Dee,
Meg

Anonymous said...

p.s. I also really admire the hair integration into your hat.

Anonymous said...

I, too, appreciate wildly the hair/hat situation. Mira does as well.

Also, I would like to join in some chair-dancing festivities amidst the plastic out-house decor, please.