Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hunter Safety Training- 1st Session Report


Last night began my three night course in Hunter Safety. One must complete this course and pass the test in order to obtain a NC hunting license. I am taking the class with dear friend SG, who also was somewhat recently given a 20 gauge shotgun. We both decided that by the end of the 3 hours last night, our brains were supersaturated with information about guns and shooting. The teacher is a very nice and helpful Game Warden. The class consists of about 25 people, male and female, ranging in age from about 10 years to about 65 years. All participates are of the white race. It seems that everyone in there already knows a lot about guns. The teacher said that if any persons can't read, he can assist them with the test taking process on Wednesday night.

I wore a special outfit for my first night- my most favorite tee shirt (with the sleeves cut off) that reads "I never met a sheep I didn't like... until I met BRENDA!!" with illustrations. I also sported Guess jeans and a side braid and some sparkly eye shadow. I won't get into describing the content matter of the class too much- if you are interested you should just get out there and take the course- it's free. But I will share a few highlights: A man sitting near me had on a shirt that read "Practice safe lunch, use a condiment," and had cartoon pictures of catsup, mustard and mayonaisse. I asked him after class if I could take a picture of his shirt because it was so funny, and he said no.
Next a couple good quotes from the wonderful instructor:
"I just love guns. I always have. I don't hate the government or anything- I just like guns."
and
"You wanna dispatch that animal as quickly as possible" (in reference to shooting deer and gettting a good shot that will make a quick clean kill.

I will have 2 more installments of Hunter Safety training updates. Stay tuned.

No comments: