Friday, February 4, 2011

3 Walls

Warning: this post contains mostly unadulterated stream of consciousness writing...

If I had 3 extra of me, I would delegate the super-entities as follows: Extra Dana #1 would assist the regular Dana, doing all the things I don't have time to do, like work full time out at this awesome place where there are 3 new walls, and do extra-curricular activites like direct and produce the Cold Hard Pimpin in my Jonathan Youngs video, engage in subversive and awesome art collaborations with Kathryn Temple, and study botany. Extra Dana #2 would attain a specialized and academic career, likely one of a medical doctor. Extra Dana #3 would actually do all the risky and out of the box things the regular Dana thinks about, but chooses not to do. (Examples will not be provided.)

In essence, what I am getting at here is simply marvelling at the plethora of possibilities one can perceive in one's life. And here I am with 3 kick ass walls sitting on a foundation on the side of a lovely and gentle hill above a clear and healthy spring. This house will house all the selves I am and the selves I am not, and the selves I may become. Because here we all are.


House from uphill facing mountains to the distance in the north




House from uphill future big garden to the southwest



House from the back of the future garden


Last night I woke up several times doing math equations in my head. I took a number, say 5, and squared it. 5 squared is 25. Then I went one number up from 5 and multiplied it by one number down from 5. This equals 24. Strange, a difference of 1. I did this with all sorts of numbers, and the difference was always 1. (ex, 8 squared is 64, and 7 times 9 is 63- a difference of 1). When I woke up this morning, I got out the calculator and did an experiment. I tried starting at a number, let's go back to 5. First I squared it, getting 25. I went one up and one down from 5 (4 and 6) and multiplied those, getting 24 (a difference of 1 from my starting place squared). Then I went two up and two down from 5 (3 and 7) and multiplied those getting 21, which was a difference of 4 from the starting place squared. Then I went three up and three down from 5 (2 and 8) and multiplied them, getting 16, which was a difference of 9 from the starting place squared. Then I went four up and four down from 5 (1 and 9) and multiplied them, getting 9, which is a difference of 16 from the starting place. I learned that there is this pattern: however many I go up and down from the original number I am making the square of, the number those multiply to will produce a relative exponential difference from the square of the original starting number.

I tried transferring this pattern to my ponderings of self. Perhaps from the starting place of self, the further out from original self that one expands, the greater the return. Does this make any sense? It might not.

What I really wanted to do on this post was show the 3 walls. It just led me to think about what is a house and who will I be in this one.


House from below the spring (flowing out of that pipe)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

slightly yet not entirely unrelated,
it just happens to be late at night and i just happened to happen upon that scrumptious morsel of a blue rose bedecked chocolate cupcake that you gave me earlier today in the rain...hallelujah....
and the splendor of that sudden discovery made me dim the lights and play my favorite tom waits song in honor of the moment, light the wee candle you left on that wee cake and think long and hard and slow about my life and about how beautiful every last scattered and sweet bit of it is---
ceremonially set the blue sugar rose on fire petal by petal and it glowed and smelled like marshmallows over a little kid's campfire...
thank you.

Girl In An Apron said...

Totally rad Dane! So exciting! It looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite blogs of yourn. i told michael about the 3 extra danas, and he laughed. it's nice to know that someone else also imagines multiple lives going on at once. i'll send you a note one of these days about the extra emilys. i can't believe you have 3 walls! it's happening! can i come to Camp Dana every year for a week? seriously...

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

Three walls up! Awesome. Hold on to your seat, you are in for a ride. Today I had a track hoe placing some landscaping rocks that we dug on the land and man was that fun! Building a house is hard work and challenging but affords so much opportunity to express your artistic self. Have fun.