Monday, June 28, 2010

Clear away hemlock grove and cut down all walnuts that are in the way of the future garden, CHECK

Well, the clearing that was to be done on the land is done. It took 17 hours of LC and JC (with their track hoe), 8 hours of chainsaw work by the fabulous and ever working Eduard*, and about 20 hours of me being there- working some, thinking some, "supervising" some, and keeping a close eye on the enormous burn piles of hemlocks that were going. The only clearing left to do is for the house site, which as of now is undecided. The place looks so big and open now that the bulk of the clearing is done. I would say there are close to 2 acres cleared total, leaving 18 acres of precious woods. Even though I didn't do much physical labor today, I feel pretty exhausted from the process of thinking, being out in the heat, and decision making that will have long term effects on the land and on my life. Does anyone have a decent riding mower that you want to sell to me?

* Eduard has been one of the (if not the top) most enthusiastic and supportive friends in this process since I moved down into the holler into the Airstream. He first helped me set up gutters and a rainwater collection system for Airstream living, then he came to all the work parties to date, and today he came out and did some kick arse chainsaw work in the heat. Thank god and daniel boone for Belgium work horses who pose as humans.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I have an electric mower I'm trying to get rid of, "The Newton. " Has a cutting width of about 11 inches. You could easily mow your entire place in an average of about 3 and a half days, charging the batteries for eight hours in between each 2 hour straight mowing session. A real "eco" dream.
Anyway, looks like good stuff taking place in the holler. Props to Eddie, He-man from across the pond! xoxo

jonathan said...

wow, it sounds like the place has changed a lot since i was up there! i am excited to come see!

Aimee said...

Wow! what an accomplishment! no wonder you're so tired. where are the photos?

Dusti said...

I am so excited for you!!! I agree, that kind of things does wear one out, even when one has not participated in much physical labor. All that planning is kinda a big deal. I can not wait to see your awesome compound!

meg said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI&feature=player_embedded

I'm not very savvy, but I think if you copy and paste this you will see a movie about a man who REALLY likes rainbows.

Meg said...

I love you more than double rainbows. Also. SImon found a cage fighting video with the same guy.

Dusti said...

I got a FEVER. And the only cure is MORE DANA! I know how it is, but may I urge you on to write some more majic so I can get my fix? Please!