Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"The Girl is Mine": a tribute to Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney, Susie Mosher, and Meg Renwick


Sunday. It was a cold and snowy night and I had gotten home in the nick of time to avoid dangerous road conditions. I was busy entertaining myself with home made blackberry wine (from a Carnivorous Plant grower friend) and herbal cream making. I cranked up a "party mix" on itunes and settled in for a fun productive evening. About an hour and a glass of potent wine into things, there was a surprising knock on the door. One does not expect on one cold snowy blustery night tucked deep into a holler that one will receive a surprising knock on one's Airstream door. It was Susie, good friend and neighbor, with a red nose and head lamp and snow all over. Well, let the fun begin.
First I served her up a White Russian snow cream- kahlua, cream and snow. Then I busted out the brandy and we sipped that like old men. I made a couple batches of herbal cream and Susie hung out. The fun jumped up a few notches when Michael Jackson and Phil Collin's hit "The Girl is Mine" came on the party shuffle. Susie went hog wild. She listened to the song 4 times in a row, memorizing the words and dancing like there was no tomorrow.



"Every night she walks right in my dreams
Since I met her from the start
I'm so glad I am the only one
Who is precious in her heart.
The girl is mine....
The doggone girl is mine!"
The song goes on in a melodic love ballad duet (or dual.. however you want to look at it.) At the end of the song there is a show up between Paul and Michael which is very very clever and convincing...

"Michael, we're not gonna fight about it."
"Paul, I think I told you-
I'm a lover not a fighter!"
"She told me I'm her forever lover you know"
"Well after loving me she said she could never love another"
"Is that what she said- I don't believe it!"
"You keep dreamin'- the girl is mine!!!"

The thing is, Susie really reminds me a lot of my dear friend Meg, who I reference a lot on this blog (Austin, Texas dweller). They don't know each other, but they are cosmic humor twins on this planet. For my 9th birthday, my mom hosted me a lip syncing talent show party. Every one was to come dressed to the nines like their favorite singer and do a lip syncing performance of a song. Meg, bless her twisted heart, came as Michael Jackson AND Paul McCartney, with half of her face and one arm painted a light brown color (to represent Michael of course before he turned white). She performed a most memorable rendition of "The Girl is Mine", turning her head to showcase the different parts of her face at different moments in the song.
Why, oh Why do both Susie and Meg have an obsession with this song?

(So that Kerry does not feel neglected, I will note that she came to the party as a very convincing Elton John with huge bug eye sunglasses and all, but for some reason I think she cried during or before or after her performance- does anyone remember the details???)

Susie left late that night and hiked home to her shack in the snow. A good time was had by all. We are planning to maybe work out a dance routine to "The Girl is Mine." Maybe we can convince her man Todd to be the "Girl" in our routine. We could tease his curly hair and make have him carry a Kotex or something.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Between this and the birth story you are really cracking my shit up. I remember details vividly ( as Kerry and I spoke recently on said party) somehow -at least in my mind- her crying earned her the prize when OBVIOUSLY by biracial look was the best! Also, when SImon got the book on precipitous birth I did not tell him to shut up- he backed me up on this. I just told him NO. when he told me to go lay on my left side. The baby would've fallen out.

Anonymous said...

uh. Also did you know my name is spelled Renwick? Yup. Silent W. Weird.

Anonymous said...

Oh. And I also want to say Susie looks like a hekuva lot of fun.

Dana said...

Meg, I stand corrected about you telling Simon to shut up. However, I am pretty sure that you told him to stop reading it out loud. I could be wrong on that too. And yes, I know your name is Renwick- I must have just fudged up. And yes, Susie is a heckofa lot of fun. And yes, I believe crying did get Kerry somewhere that fated day.

Anonymous said...

Listen, you two, AS FAR AS I RECALL, I won that lip-synching competition FAIR and SQUARE. Yall were just jealous.
Let me have my tiny victories, people.
I mean, I came dressed up as ELTON JOHN, for the love of all things.
Seriously.
BUT. I did love Meg's one sparkly glove.
She's a clever one.
PS. I miss the airstream. That's why I wrote a poem about it, and that's why we will be back so soon.

Dana said...

I'm thinking that I might need you to go ahead and be ELTON JOHN the next time you come to the Airstream. I loved the poem. Can I put it up here?