Sunday, March 22, 2009

"spring wind threw my list of things to do away"


yellowroot


coltsfoot


bloodroot
I love that Greg Brown song Spring Wind. Anyways, today I romped around the woods looking for spring life and wildflowers, mushrooms and such. I went to one of my favorite spots to romp. It was so warm and the breeze was so balmy I decided it might be nice to engage in some partial disenrobement. However, once I got on the trail, I thought, even though in my 12 years of frequenting that spot and only ever running into someone once, I better re-robe my upper portion, just in case. Only a few minutes later, I ran into a duo of dudes in all camo- they were rushing down the trail. I was so glad to be covered. Those guys told me they had parked on an old fire road and gone into the woods for just a few minutes and then returned to leave to find that their car was stolen. That was freaky, but the day was so lovely, I carried on. I discovered it's still a little early for morels, but some of the early wildflowers are doing their thing in a most spectacular fashion. I harvested nettles for dinner and will cook them later by the light of a fire. Do you think they would be good as fried cakes with potatoes, cheese from the Mechos and pear chutney? I do.

5 comments:

Milkweed said...

Yes, they would be good that way. Mmmmmm. C and I have been eating the hell out of some nettles this week.

Good thing you didn't freak that duo of dudes out even more than they already were with your barenaked tatas.

Here's to spring and thank you for the beautiful glimpses of your romp!

Milkweed said...

One more thing: I have been reading about perennial veggies with the idea of creating a big garden area that regenerates itself every year (asparagus, rhubarb, horseradish, and BEYOND...) and what should I come acrost but SALSIFY! It is apparently a very old and classic french vegetable whose roots and leaves are both enjoyed by old-school french people. So thank you for the salsify seeds and they will be going in the ground and soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!

Anonymous said...

Nice post! GA is also my biggest earning. However, it’s not a much.

Anonymous said...

What abstract thinking