Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Getting my bearings: Take 2

Another way I need to get my bearings is to try and figure out where I am in the passing of time. Time is funny because it passes yet loops back around, sets the pace yets seems to change paces, seems straightforward but can be really disorienting. It marks our lives. Dormancy breaks and gives way to growth. Growth gives way to fruition. Fruition gives way to harvest. Harvest gives way to death. Death offers dormancy. I move through the cycle again and again, each time finding my bearings within each season.

Ritualistic repetition saves me. In the spring I hunt morels and take my first plunge into the vital icy water. It is spring. Mid summer Sally and I visit Mount Mitchell and pick Hypericum graveolens. August 2 I swim in the French Broad at dark after launching a raft with morsels of the garden harvest. At Thanksgiving I cook greens, bread and pumpkin pie to contribute to the family dinner. We eat the same things every year. The same people prepare the same dishes. I jump in the creek before or after dinner, and everyone asks "Was it cold?" to which I sometimes reply, "Does a wild bear shit in the woods?"

In December Sally and I set aside an entire day to bake a large batch of biscotti. We 10 times the recipe that Jude gave me years ago. We both bring a mix cd that we made and snacks to carry us through. We run a tight ship. Each year we choose a secret ingredient to put into the biscotti that our recipients are to guess. The recipients expect this and guess with enthusiasm. Our biscotti day is always called The Biscotti Bake-Off. It is supreme fun. Certain individuals always stop by the Inn where we are baking and sample the end pieces.



This year's biscotti bake-off fell early due to travel plans. I realized that traditions like this one not only warm my heart (and fill my belly), but they give me my bearings. Another year has passed. We are doing what we do again, and we are different and the same as we were last time. Somehow it really helps.

Biscotti recipe is here:  biscotti recipe click here!

5 comments:

Dusti said...

Love your way of expressing the passage of time. I just wrote a little about time passing, but in a completely different way. Not as good as yours! But still, psychic connection?

Unknown said...

Biscotti WAS great, looking forward to next years<<<<<<<<<<<

Girl In An Apron said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your biscotti! And I'm pickin up what you're putting down in a big way!

Anonymous said...

Hey there...I'm a friend of Dusti's and Brandi's. I am curious about your secret ingredients. Will you indulge your picks for previous years? That's a great idea, by the way. I make chocolates and caramels, and I'm really liking the idea of mixing it up every year with a top secret special ingredient.
Maybe I'll make ludefisk caramels next year.

Dana said...

Laura Irrgang, What is ludefisk??? Pray tell! Some of our previous years' secrets include: lavender, rose, dried cherries and dried blueberries. Other ideas: kahlua or other liquors, almond extract, hazelnuts. I am hoping to learn how to make caramels this coming week. Thanks for reading my blog.
Dana