Friday, December 22, 2006

Low Point and biscotti recipe

Rainy winter solstice. I think I may have contracted a bit of the stomach virus that my sister has had. Due to certain urgent bathroom needs, I feel unable to escape the prison which is currently my garage apartment. My kerosine monitor broke the other day, so my landlord (bless his heart) came and took it away for repair. In the process he spilled kerosine all over the rug and carpet, so this place smells like a gas station. I am out of crucial food items and dogfood, which causes a situation of dog following sick human around a small kerosine infested space which is cluttered not only with Christmas projects, but also with items having been moved to accomodate the evacuation of the heater.
On the bright side, SYR and I successfully completed the 3rd annual biscotti bake-off last week, with 177 beautiful pieces of mysteriously delicious crunchiness to show. We added 2 secret ingredients to the following recipe ( and 9 times it!!!):

BISCOTTI
Cream together 1 stick plus 2 Tbs butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Stir together 2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Gradually add wet to dry ingredients until well mixed. Add 12 oz. chocolate chips, 1 cup slivered almonds, and 1 cup coconut. Form into 3 loaves on a large, greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 325F for 35-45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Slice each loaf into 1 inch slices. Lay slices back on cookie sheet. Put back into oven, and toast on each side for 10- 25 minutes. At the end, the pieces should be crunchy and completely toasted, but not burnt. Keep checking them until they get to this point. It took ours quite a while to get there... Enjoy!
This recipe was given to me by a friend who got it from a friend, and other than that we don't know its origin.
ps. The secret ingredients are not listed here.

pss. RM, if you are reading this, notice the large quantity of undesirable words contained in this recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Dana! Great use of undesirables! Would you copy that down on a sheet of paper for me? Thanks.

We just got home from a solstice party at the D*'s, and nobody seemed very social or party-oriented. And the local stomach cruddola was definitely represented. I'm a little scared.