Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Spring Creek Polar Bear Club

It has one member that I know of. If there are others out there, show your faces. Yep, I did it this morning. I got out of a warm bath and thought to myself, "Geez I'm hot." There was only one thing to do. I grabbed my bathrobe and my towel and headed out the back door and down the snowy path to the bank of Spring Creek. I had to bust a layer of ice with my bare foot in order to wade in and lie down in the shallow water up to my neck. I was quickly up and gasping and hollering and grunting from deep in my primal gut. You see, in case you don't live around here, it was ungodly cold today. The kind of cold you just don't even want to be in. And I loved my polar bear dip- every one second of it. It was my winter tonic*- to invigorate the spirit and get the blood flowing, wake up the dulled over cabin fevery senses and break the monotony of the days like busted ice. I hurried inside and bundled up and drank hot ginger tea to keep the circulation going. It was good. Real good.

* Note- I would never dip in the frozen water on a crazy cold day like this if I felt physically compromised in the least. I knew it was a good tonic for me because I was feeling robust, but craved a little invigoration.

4 comments:

The Polar Bear said...

that is so awesome! i was in a polar bear club in maine and i loved it. i went to a really cool botanical garden today. so many crazy, neat plants here.

Girl In An Apron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl In An Apron said...

Real good! Real crazy, but I trust you knew it would be a good tonic* this time of year.

*Tonic-a word my friend Dana feels a deep and special affection for, seeking its healing potential often and with true determination (even if it means dipping her buck-ass naked self into icy waters on the coldest day in NC history). Gotta love it.

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

You are courageous. I cannot get in my creek even in the heat of mid day in August day. I am really a wuss when it comes to getting in cold water. The best I can do in summer is wade and splash around. That's enough tonic for me.