Monday, December 13, 2010

On writing

Over five years ago I decided I wanted to write more. You see, I love stories, and I love telling stories and hearing them and then relaying what I have heard-you get the picture. Some people had been telling me I should start writing some of my stories down. I decided I wanted to do that, but I wasn't doing it. My dear friend Meg, who lives in Texas, sent me a brand new composition notebook and a large bag of M&Ms for writing inspiration. I sat down in the floor in front of the heater one night in the garage apartment and wrote about half a story about Hopey (the plott hound under the Christmas tree for those of you who don't know). I wrote until my hand was stiff and I needed to go to sleep. The next morning I got up and looked at what I had written, and it seemed dumb. I ate up all the M&Ms in a couple of days and never wrote another thing in that notebook.

Maybe it was that same winter or maybe it was the next, my friend Rosemoon told me I should start a blog. I thought the word blog was downright dumb, and after all the whole thing sounded pretty complicated. I told her I couldn't do that because I didn't know how to do that kind of thing. She kept telling me to start a blog and finally when she showed me how to do it, I said OK.

I have been keeping a regular blog ever since. Being practically a neo-Luddite my own self, I don't know why this format works so well for me. I really don't. I am a fan of all things that are going out of practice. Longhand cursive, face to face conversations, cake walks, letters, library research, tea and talking, made in USA, # 2 pencils, what have you.

I have a drawer full of #2 pencils, and I have been wanting to use them bad lately. I have just been craving that feel of a sharp graphite point on a tangible piece of paper. What? I messed up? No sweat- I will just erase that part with the handy rubber eraser and move on. It is wonderful. The wood, the mineral, the rubber- a trinity of underappreciated usefulness.

My problem has been, I have had all these brand spanking new #2 pencils sitting around (most of them have a Halloween theme- thanks Mom), but I have had no pencil sharpener and a kitchen knife just wasn't "cutting" it. I kept meaning to pick up a handy little pencil sharpenerwhen I was out and about, but then I would always forget until I was home and wanting to use a pencil. I guess it's just the type of thing that's fairly easy to go around forgetting.

Well, my pencil troubles were all unexpectedly resolved yesterday during a snowy visit to my grandmother's house I made with my sister (another dying trend- visiting with family for no good reason.) We were taking her some sweets we had baked- a little something to make the snow storm a little more palatable. She started asking us what we wanted in our stockings this Christmas, and I couldn't think of a damned thing. I wanted to say "no stinky bath products please," but finally I thought of one silly little thing. "I would like a pencil sharpener for Christmas." She chuckled the chuckle of someone who is humoring someone who just said something dumb, but then I saw her lovely hazel eyes light up with a revelation.

"You want a pencil sharpener? I have an extra one. I just bought several the other day because they were on a fantastic special!" She disappeared into the other room and re-emerged after a few moments with this beauty.




Perfect. The Duel Hole Sharpener. Love the Chinese. Love the grandmother who buys extra Duel Hole Sharpeners because they are on a fantastic special. Love the #2 pencils. If the internet crashes, perhaps I will pull out my old composition notebook, wipe the dust off, and finish that story about the dog. If I re-read it and something sounds dumb, I will erase it and try again. When I am finished, maybe I will brew some tea, invite a few people over, turn off the cell phones, and read the story right off the page. Wouldn't that be lovely...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whow Dana, I think you made the correct decision so many winters ago; you know I love your blog. But where did your granny buy the pencilsharpener made in the USA?
Keep on putting that black stuff onto that white stuff and I would love to hear in person the story about the bloodhound; sitting by a roaring fire and a sip of m...e.
Eduard.

Dana said...

Eduard, just to clear up one detail that I may have mis"lead" you on- the pencil sharpener was indeed made in China. I wish it weren't so, but what American makes a pencil sharpener anymore? Yes, please come to the roaring fire this winter. I have received some m...e from a secret santa and would love to tell stories old fashion style.

megflemming@hotmail.com said...

Your blogs are ALWAYS a highlight for my day and show me one more side of my most talented oldest friend.

Taryn said...

you are so totally awesome dana...the way you honor the sweet trinity of the pencil here is so visceral it makes me want to bust out my trapper keeper.
xo
taryn

Girl In An Apron said...

SO very wholesome Dane. Keep it up, on the blog and using the holy trinity of under appreciated wood, mineral and rubber. Hummmm.
Always a pleasure reading your accounts, and have I mentioned how much I love your naunny?

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

Keep writing Dana,whether by digital means or by mechanical means. I enjoy each post and am sometimes disappointed when I check in with your blog and there is nothing new. I was really happy to see all the new posts this morning. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Keep writing, Dana. How come you haven't added a Twitter feed? I need more donkey updates!