Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Paw Paws, the breakfast of Hoes (Dirty Hoe gardeners that is...)

It is remarkable how quickly a year can pass. It does not seem that long ago when I journeyed to the paw paw patch a year ago, in September of 2009. But since then I have bought land, travelled to China and back, and become a lumberjack, among other things. This lovely morning I took a little trip to the paw paw patch to load up on my fruit fix for the year (I am not a big fruit eater, but I like getting paw paws to eat and share). Learning from past experience, I took plenty of plastic grocery bags with me- no more of this overloading the bag with heavy fruit. I gathered five bags for my clan to enjoy. If you have never had a paw paw, I recommend trying one when you get the chance. They look like mangos, smell like bananas, taste like a mixture of the two, and have the consistency of custard. You can cut one in half and literally eat it with a spoon. The only slight inconvenience is spitting out the seeds, which, luckily, are large and easy to handle. I plan to eat em raw, enjoy them with local raw milk and a little local honey in a paw paw milkshake (click for awesome friend's blog post link), and share plenty with friends and family.

Here are a few shots from the "paw paw patch," which is really an old farmhouse with 2 mature, field-grown paw paw trees in the yard.




4 comments:

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

I planted two this spring and can't wait to taste them. I've never had one but heard so many good things about them I had to plant them.

Dusti said...

What a far out groovy fruit, kinda like you hahaa! Sounds DElish! Plus the name pretty much rocks too.
And yes, I would love to try some of your special lichen witch's brew. I am so proud and in awe of the medicine woman you've become.
Hearty heart hearts~D

Girl In An Apron said...

Thank you for being so awesome!

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

Thanks Dana! What a wonderful surprise to get pawpaws delivered to my door. I ate one last night and they are just orrrrrrrgasmic good. Now I am really excited about the ones I have planted. I'll also save the seeds from yours in hopes of starting a pawpaw plantation.