Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A question answered (warning:graphic material)

Sometimes questions just get answered without much effort from the asker. This past weekend, I was having a conversation with my friend Jeremy about placentas. He asked me if animals eat their placentas and cut their babies umbilical cords. I remember our miniature dacshound, Bachi, eating placenta after birthing her 3 miniscule puppies, but I didn't know about other animals, like say, deer, goats or cows. I told him I could find out. The next day I was walking out by the Mecho's house, and the lady Mechos came out to tell me about their new calf, Leslie Patience, who had been born hours before. I was invited by Mama Mecho to go out to the barn to see the tiny calf, and this is what I walked into...


Well, that answers that.
(To be fair, it has been made known to me that a cow does not always choose to eat her placenta.)
After an exciting photo session with Maude and Leslie Patience (complete with the dynamic and slurpy soundtrack of a large animal without opposable digits snarfing down a steaming placenta), I went for a most lovely walk in the snow up to my new homeplace. The late afternoon light across the sky and snow cast a most peaceful aura over the old cemetery up there, and the woods were silent and still. Snow everwhere (except the site I am considering for my house.) I walked until twilight began its blue midwinter descent over the mountains. It is quite beautiful in these parts.


7 comments:

rachel said...

Dana, just beautiful. Very visual discriptions of plecenta eating, and wordy soundtrack portrayal! Makes me very hungry.

Omelay said...

after PPD for our second child. after much research, my wife ate a piece of her placenta with both subsequent children. we even dehydrated some for later consumption when the PPD might creep in.

i admit initially being freaked out by it but just look at that cow... that seems natural doesn't it?

Omelay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I want not acquiesce in on it. I regard as polite post. Specially the designation attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.

Sara said...

Why, anonymous, that's just what I was going to say!

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Dusti said...

Starla Twila Dana Dee, I am overcome with joy to find your blog via my blog. What a miraculous gift to peek into your life! I literally gasped when I saw and read about the cemetery near your home site. I have a very deep affection and adoration for cemeteries and every aspect of mourning rituals. But enough about that-I can't wait to peruse your writing! I too am working on my writing and it is fast eclipsing all my other passions (well, almost). You are by far the most unique and delightful soul I have ever met and I am so overjoyed to reconnect with you.
Let's see...I'd like to suggest you write about...psychic connections you've experienced!
Hearts~D