Saturday, September 12, 2009

9-09-09 Part 2 (aka:9-10-09)

"I huddled in the bed and finally drifted off into a sleep that was infused with the sound of rushing water and the smell of pines and asters and all other manners of plants that had just been shredded to pieces by that ice. It smelled like a fresh tea of all the plants in the holler were just a-washin' down that holler with the rain. The air was cold and wet on account of the ice. My sleep was not what you would call particularly restful. I awoke in a state of confusion at daybreak and I swear to you- when I sat up and looked out that window I thought I was dreaming in a nightmare. There was piles of ice ever which a way and a new branch flowing plum through my front porch area. The air was cold and a dense ice fog had settled in the holler and that chopped up plant smell was still thick in the air. It wasn't a wonder either, because all the leaves of the trees and the 'maters and flowers and what have yous was chopped to pieces and laying all over the ground and the piles of ice. That river was flowin down the driveway and over the culvert. I realized if I hadn't-a moved that little ole truck, it very well might of plum floated away. The whole scene just seemed plum unreal. I had to get on the telephone and call someone just to talk.





Well after a while I got up and went up the drive to Neighbor Mecho's house. The drive had these deep ruts and parts of the drive was just washed out. The banks of the creek were washed down and the waterfall was rushin and then the water flowed over the road. After a while we just all gathered around the table at the Mecho's and talked it out.

That afternoon I was just fixin to go out and help work on clearing some of the clogged culverts when it started to rain. Well it poured the rain and before you could imagine, that river started floodin again and this time it was about to wash right under that little ole camper. Susie and Greg and Kristen helped me real quick to to build a dam of sorts to keep that water from flushing plum underneath of my living quarters. We worked purty fast out there in the pourin down rain. And son, it worked. Those people were like angels from Heaven."

to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jezus!!
Do you need any help??
Please let us know.
Eduard and Laura

Dana said...

No extra help is needed at this time. Thanks for offering. Ona bright note, the rainwater tank is full... Cheers!