Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Black Snake

Last Friday night I took a cruise over to the town of Marshall for "MAD Friday" (Marshall Arts District Friday night event series). Firewalker Gallery had live music and I wanted to check the scene on the way home. It was the end of a long week for me, so I was pretty tired, but it was the first "MAD Friday" of the season and I wanted to feel part of the loop, whatever the loop is. I enjoyed visiting with the gallery host LW for a little while and then I sat in a comfy rocking chair and got sleepy. When I started dosing off I decided it was time to call it a week and head home. I got in my truck and drove down the road, stopping to holler bye bye at Susie, who was hanging out in front of the gallery. All of a sudden some hip artsit person of mysterious identity hollered out "You have a snake on your tire!" Then all these hip artists were hollering out "Yeah you have a snake on your tire!" I put it in park and got out, confused about how I could have a snake on my tire. Someone yelled out "Turn off your engine- it went up in there!" I turned the truck off and put my hazards on because I was in the middle of the road. Hip artists descended on my truck like ants on a carcass. I opened the hood, still confused about what in the world was going on. Susie was there and we were cracking up. Then this local yocal country guy drove up and said, "Is everything alright here?" I said something about yeah, it's just a snake in the engine. He inquired, "Do you need any help?" Well at about that time I was getting really tickled about how many people were so involved and worked up about this situation and I figured it would be good to mix it up and get the local yocal guy involved so I told him I would need him to grab that snake out of there. All these artist people were shining their cell phones down in there to find the snake and sure enough someone spotted it curled up behind the engine. I said to that local yocal guy "Grab it! Grab it! Chuck it in the road!" He did and son, that snake was mad. It started coming after everyone then trying to head back toward the tire. I yelled at that local yocal guy, "Grab it again! Chuck it on the sidewalk!" He was busy threatening the snake that he would kill it. Well those artist people didn't like that. They were saying, " Don't kill it! It didn't hurt anyone! It's just a black snake!" I also said "don't kill it! Just chuck it on the sidewalk." Well, he grabbed it and chucked it on the sidewalk and it slithered away. Then the whole thing was over and I started to leave. Susie kept telling me, "Godspeed and be well!" over and over. It was really really funny. Then I got in my truck and left. It was one of those occurances that gave me a tickle. I felt like all of a sudden I was famous there in Marshall. Susie said people talked about it later. People getting so very worked up over a snake in an engine. Priceless.

5 comments:

amy said...

I wonder if that was the same black snake Matt caught last year from the newspaper box at Zuma that I put in a box and asked LW if I could leave with him for a bit while I did errands and then came back to find it had escaped from the box into the gallery and was never found again...

Dana said...

Yeah maybe so. I really hope so.

silver said...

i came home sunday nite from visiting my mom in greensboro (she doesn't live there, we just met there) and there was a black rat snake curled up sleeping in my bed. i know it's not the same as a snake on the tire and then on the engine, but still. godspeed and be well from the swannanoa valley!

Dana said...

Dang,silver, dang!

Unknown said...

I'm cracking up (loudly) in the library... hand over mouth - trying to keep it in, but it keeps busting through!

Thank you - this is an amazing story!