Tuesday, February 3, 2009

post script regarding White Nite

I was talking tonight to Meg, who I am proud to say has been my consistent dear friend since the 1st grade. Meg lives in the giant entity of Texas, but we talk regularly, thanks to the modern convenience of cell phones. Meg is a Dana-Dee blog reader (thank Jesus), and she called me out on something from my latest White Nite post. She remarked that she thought I was trying to ruffle the feathers of my animal loving blog readers by saying that I would release White Nite in the presence of a "HONGRY" black snake. When she asked me if there was any truth in her accusation, I honestly admitted yes.
I think there is some truth in this. But I want to explain that there is more to the story. Since my adventures with White Nite began, I have surprisingly had many emotional reactions from friends and acquaintances concerning my plans and intentions for the mouse. A very interesting philisophical issue has surfaced in my conversations about White Nite. It seems that many people have the belief that it is wrong or inhumane to name and nurture an animal and then to turn around and feed it to another animal. People have implied that there is something wrong with me for being OK with establishing a relationship with White Nite based upon affection and care but still planning to allow him to be eaten by a predator.
I will say this to readers: I care about White Nite. It is my instinct to want to protect and nurture and feed him. I talk pretty to him and pet his soft fur. I handle him gently. And at the same time, I am OK if he dies at the jaws of a mightier beast. I really do not think I am sick or heartless for this. I think it is all very human- to want to nurture and protect creatures that are smaller and more vulnerable than oneself- and also to accept and embrace the laws of nature: every living being lives at the expense of the lives of other living beings. Death is part of life, and mice are prey of mightier beasts. This is their place in the order of things, and this will not change regardless of how attached I become to White Nite as a pet. It is my quest to be fully human that allows me to ride this paradox with White Nite- both caring for and protecting him, and eventually allowing him to be consumed.
Having said that, I would be utterly tickled if someone wanted to adopt White Nite as a pet and he lived a life in strange but protective captivity, never to be killed at the jaws of any beast, mighty or meek. But it seems I am not the only person who does not wish to have a pet white mouse...

7 comments:

Milkweed said...

I think it is WAY more humane and morally consistant to be sweet, nurture, and connect with W.N. and then release him back into the natural order, which includes possible but not certain Death by Snake than to poison him, for instance.

Countless mice have died probably horrible deaths after eating poison in our yome, which to a mouse must seem like the promised land. But after the mouse destruction in there of last winter, I reluctantly agreed to the poison route. We should probably just release a black snake in there.

I think your philosophical ethic is consistent, even if you WERE trying to rile up the animal lovers.

Milkweed said...

And I really liked reading the reflections...really a lot!

By the way, did you know that "White Night" is the term used to refer to the riots that happened in San Francisco after Harvey Milk's killer got off on the so-called "twinkie defense"? His lawyers said junk food made him do it. His name was Dan White, hence, White Night.

Anonymous said...

The human-other animal connection is a strange and complex one, probably because of our weird and unusual brains. As you know, I pet and love our pigs, and cry when we kill them, but love eating pork.

Anonymous said...

for the love of pete. I love you no matter what you do. i appreciate the circle of life thanks to elton john and i also know that you are a great lover of animals and one who respects them tremendously as well.

I wish everyone had these types of ethical questions and conundrums...instead of just purchasing the rat for a pet at the petstore and keeping it in a box for the rest of its life, or just eating the bacon on the plate and not thinking where it came from, etc. etc.

We should all recall that this rat was originally procured in order to save another animals life to begin with...so I don't think anyone can accuse you of not caring about wildlife.

and who knows. maybe (and likely) the little bugger has learned some survival skills from you while at the airstream and will out-smart that hongry snake, afterall...

love,
the other (and sadly, the more inconsistent) first grade friend --but not andres bolanas.

Anonymous said...

Andreas Bolanis is Hot

Anonymous said...

Hell. Yes. He. Is.

Dana said...

Buenos dias, I have a...pet mouse,
Buenas noches, do you want to touch it...