Sunday, August 10, 2008

The tipping of the outhouse

I am getting very close to being about to haul and park the Airstream on the land- in the holler of Starling Gentry Road, Chapel Hill (Shelton Laurel), NC. Yesterday I went down there to start working on an outhouse for myself. The land is the old homeplace of Shorty and Starling Gentry, a couple who have both passed over, but who remain very well loved and fondly remembered. Their old house is still (barely) standing, and there are several outbuildings which are in decent condition- a barn, a corn crib, a woodshed, and, guess what- an outhouse! I cleared a path up to the old outhouse, which was leaning slightly, but still fairly solid. Over the years, soil had washed down the mountain and piled around the door- blocking the entrance, so I had to dig that out a little. When I was able to get in, I found to my delight a most palitable set up- a 2 seater in good condition. The only thing was that there were no holes under either seat. So I decided that I needed to tip the whole thing over and dig new holes. After all, it hasn't been shat in for over 30 years, so it can't be that nasty under there. This way, I won't have to build a whole new outhouse or even move the old one. Enjoy the pictures of us tipping the outhouse over and then S trying to remove all of the splinters I got in the process... Today I am going to dig the holes. Look for an update soon.




2 comments:

bkshaw said...

HI Dana:
I am working on a digital story project with some seniors in my area. One of the stories is about outhouse tipping- We are in need of a photo of outhouse tipping- I would like permission to use your photo- you would get full credit for it. This is a volunteer history project- no money will be made from it.
My email is bknutsonshaw@gmail.com if you could grant us permission.Thanks.

bkshaw said...

HI Dana:
I am working on a digital story project with some seniors in my area. One of the stories is about outhouse tipping- We are in need of a photo of outhouse tipping- I would like permission to use your photo- you would get full credit for it. This is a volunteer history project- no money will be made from it.
My email is bknutsonshaw@gmail.com if you could grant us permission.Thanks.