Friday, July 20, 2012

The Garden, July 2012

Even though I ain't got a name for it yet, I have begun my herb garden, which will hopefully, a few years down the road, provide local, safe, healthy, potent and effective formulas using both Chinese and native herbs. Most of these herbs are perennials, and some of them require 3 to 4 years to maturity before harvesting. Of the Chinese varieties, I am wanting to focus on tonics, but I am also willing to try whatever thrives in this climate. So far I have planted sections of: Salvia militorriza (Dan shen- red rooted sage), Platycodon grandiflorus (Jie geng- balloonflower), Codonopsis pilosula (Dang shen- poor man's ginseng), Astragalus membranaceus (Huang qi), Scutellaria baicalensis (Huang qin- Baikal Skullcap),  and Mentha haplocalys (Bo he- Field mint). In the nursery waiting to be planted out are more- Glycyrrhiza uralensis (Gan cao-Chinese licorice), Angelica sinensis (Dang gui), Ligusticum jeholense (Gao ben-Chinese lovage), Calamus, Chinese violet, Chyrsanthemum morifolium (Ju hua-Chrysanthemum), and Ginkgo biloba (Bai guo). Coming soon are Paeonia lactiflora (Bai shao- Chinese peony) and roses.

Western herbs so far in the garden are Calendula officinalis, Eschscholzia californica (California poppy), and Mentha spicata (spearmint). There are tons of herbs growing wild here in the woods- more than I can list here.

I have begun forming raised beds in the garden for the perennial herbs. These are planted and then will be relatively undisturbed (save for weeding) until harvest. Between the beds is either sheet mulched with cardboard and wood chips or saw dust or sowed in clover for mowing. My plan is to keep making more raised beds over time until I have worked my way far up in the clearing in the cove until it tapers to woods. There is more sunlight in the front, closer to the house, and further up it is shadier and more moist. As of July this year, I have a pretty good start, although in my perfect world I would have had more time this month to keep creating and planting beds. I have been overly consumed with water infrastructure issues that automatically take priority. Luckily, it has been raining regularly for the past couple weeks, so I have not had to worry about watering.
Codonopsis trellises with Maypole in the background

Raised beds so far


Skutellaria- Huang qin
 
Salvia- Dan shen

Ballonflower- Jie geng


Calendula patch



In addition to the herbs, I have enough garden veggies for one plus occasional company- tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, beans, squash (delicata and yellow crookneck), lettuce, arugula, kale, chard, carrots- as well as flowers for pretties.

I'm having a blast with the garden. Come by and see me. And give me tips!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With your permission I will advise you this saturday.
Eduard