Monday, December 5, 2011

Let us not forget our mortality

A recent brief but memorable conversation with my neighbor the other day left me pondering the winter season and our modern cultural relationships with the seasons of the year. This friend, RM, and I were discussing the winter holidays and noting the highly intensified stress levels we modern westerners seem to experience this time of year. Family dynamics often explode with lifetimes of festering subsurface funk, dormant human-feeding viruses wake up and feast upon the tired and cold among us, we break our banks buying stupid crap to give each other, and the widespread cultural expectation to be cheerful peers around from every corner, mercilessly laughing in our faces.
I expressed that it is absurd for our major holiday season to be held in the darkest, most difficult time of the year. RM explained that the original reason for these winter holidays was for that precise reason. She said that the dark season awakens very old fears in us, and that the holidays were intended to band people together to provide extra support for each other during the coldest, roughest time of the year.
Very old fears. A chill runs down my back, and the fears, buried shallowly beneath my modern illusions of invincibility stir and grumble. Fears of cold, of sickness, of starvation, of perish, of the icy fingers of death itself. These are indeed age-old fears; they are the same fears that drove each generation of ancestors to survive year after year, through whatever trials each season unveiled. They are old fears, but they are not irrelevant fears.
The lines between health and sickness, thriving and perishing, life and death are thinner than I like to be aware of. We are organisms among many on this earth, and despite our desperate desire to believe there is someone out there (who favors our type of organism) controlling it all, the bottom line is we are just as subject to the laws of nature as our cavemen ancestors, as the birds and the four-leggeds, and as the viruses that we try to kill with antibiotics. We are eating and being eaten, and we will ultimately perish at the benefit of someone or something else.
Let us not forget our mortality.
RM and I wondered whether we modern westerners have the skills to make the holidays what they were intended to be- to improve our collective strength by banding together in the toughest time of the year. I think we do. And if we don't, we ought to make it our business to remember what is surely as basic and ancient in our human psyches as the fear of winter. Let us remember how to find collective strength in the darkness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said! I hope you're right, that we do have it in us to learn to band together and give each other strength and cheer in this dark time of the year. I think I'm a gloomy pessimist in the winter.

amy said...

Well said indeed. I think a lot of us are gloomy pessimists in the winter, largely because as modern westerners we are going against the rhythms of nature...we should be letting ourselves nap more, eat more, hang out and relax with loved ones more, and stop fighting winter by having to go out in it so much to bring home the bacon, so to speak. Winter is hard enough!

Dusti said...

Ah Dana, I always so enjoy reading your thoughts on any given subject.
I, being a modern human who enjoys such luxuries as the grocery store, love the winter season. It's a time of contemplation, idea development, plan-laying, fire building and star gazing. I have dropped myself plum out of the Christmas consumer extravaganza. It's nuts.
Let's just make it an excuse to celebrate being alive together and doing weird pagany things like bringing trees indoors and decorating them with lights, and thinking about flying reindeer!

Anonymous said...

Dana, love reading your thoughts. i myself have found this winter season so far, much improved over my usual winter doldrums. i am attributing my new found winter contentment to...... A NEW HEAT PUMP.!!! I Have been amazed at the delicious warmth in my house when a awake and no longer feel the need to crawl in bed at the first hint of evening darkness. We'll see if this continues thru the season, after all it has been unseasonable mild.... thanks for sharing and i hope to see you at the singalong fri nite, janet

Girl In An Apron said...

Best post you've ever written. Right on time! I like thinking about the way things were, and how to recapture some authenticity during these times. REAL good Dane!