Saturday, January 8, 2011

Upon further observation

Upon further observation, there are many, many robins foraging in the Hot Springs vicinity. This may not seem like a mentionable observation from my life in Western North Carolina, but let me tell you, people are talking about it. No one I have talked to remembers seeing this many in the winter before. Granted, I am snowed in, so I am not talking with hoards of people these days, but several have spoken of the phenomenon. The repetitive conversations and observations of the grand quantities of these fine feathered friends prompted me to do a little "googling" of the matter. Apparently, the vast majority of robins migrate south for the winter, but some roosts are inclined to stick it out where they are at and chance finding enough winter berries (their food of choice when the ground is too cold to hunt earthworms). These flocks remain in the vicinity of their breeding grounds, but do a bit of moving around in order to procure the ample fruit snacks they need in order to meet their heavy dietary needs. Apparently, more and more groups of robins are trying to overwinter in their breeding grounds due to the increasing amounts of invasive honeysuckle vines. The honeysuckle berries seem enticing, but apparently they aren't as nutritious as native berries (according to an article I read that I can't figure out how to post a link to here...)
To the best of my observations, the robins around here are focusing on the abundant hackberries we have in this area. There were flocks of them on the road above the French Broad this afternoon as I walked to my grandmother's to cut her hair (and get out of the house!) The river was gorgeous as usual and the lovely grey-green color that it assumes when the water is butt cold. I imagined being in that water, and I shivered to myself. I love that river.
Back to robins for a little minute, did you know that when robins do migrate, they fly at 37 degree (F) isotherms? To the best of my understanding, this means they will ride a weather front, staying in the 37 degrees zone.

No comments: