Monday, July 19, 2010

Profile Preview: Moonie

It has been one of my ideas for quite some time now to occasionally feature people on this blog who I find of outstanding interest. I want to do interview/ profiles of sorts, where I spend some time with the person in his/her domain- observing, shooting the shit, asking some direct questions, and photographing. It's like hitting three birds with one stone: 1) quality time spent with someone I like a lot, 2) subject matter to write about on my bloggity blog, and 3) vicarious enjoyment of that person for you people, the readers.
As it turns out, buying 20 acres and planning for a house takes a lot of time, so this and all other fantastic project ideas have taken a bit of a "back burner," so to speak, but I still want to do it and might just hit you with one when you least expect it. For now, I am going to give a preview of what will likely be my first real full sized "person of interest profile" someday: Moonie.
As most of you know, Moonie is one of my beloved neighbors. She is nearly 19 years old, and I have had the pleasure of knowing her for I think over 10 years. It has been a true delight to watch her grow up, and I am proud to call her a friend.
One of the reasons Moonie is a person of interest is that every time I cross her path, she is engaged in some activity that is unique, out of the ordinary (for most teenagers), and she is doing it with the finess of someone way beyond her years. She is most known on this blog for her accomplishments as a lamb saver; she is the one who tubed and force fed a dying newborn lamb by herself when the rest of the family was out one day, thus saving its precious little brand new life.
Recently she successfully performed a minor leg surgery on one of her puppies with kitchen scissors when it was cut to the tendon on a piece of fencing.
Once I came across her carrying a newborn cow on her shoulders (amniotic fluids and all) down a nearly vertical mountainside. Her legs were buckling from exhaustion by the time she got down, but she got that calf to the barn before dark set in.
Another reason Moonie is profile worthy is that her sense of humor is extremely dry, refined and effective, especially for someone so young. Today she made me laugh so hard (even though she might not have been trying to be funny.) I was sitting around visiting with her and her mom (RM). The conversation went a little something like this:
RM: This time of year, I can't run a load of laundry without adding a little bleach to the load. In the winter I start a load at night before bed, like say at about 11, and then in the morning I throw them in the dryer. This time of year that's too long-using just the spring water, the clothes will sour in that time. It's gross.
Dana: That is gross.
Moonie: (says nothing, engaged in Facebook activities)
RM: For example those all that laundry there I just folded (nods to a huge mound of recently folded laundry)- some of them will have to be re-washed.
Moonie: (not looking up from the Facebook Wall page) I hope it's not my Periodic Table of the Elements tee shirt (stated quietly and dryly).

I laugh and laugh. "I hope it's not my Periodic Table of the Elements tee shirt." Good one.
Moonie will not let me photograph her today, but I am allowed to photograph her surroundings, like the milk cow, Pearl, and her pig with wings drawing (with the mound of souring laundry in the background) and her "Periodic Table of the Elements" tee shirt.
This is a profile preview.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when is it my turn, eduard

The Polar Bear said...

just wanted to be sure you knew that the middle of nowhere party is next weekend with lots of high jinks and rock n roll. all weekend but saturday is the big day. tell susie if you would and hope to see you.-molly