Monday, March 29, 2010

Whoopie Pies


Colleen, my very classy and sassy Cincinnatti friend, graciously shared her whoopie pie recipe with me recently. Since I was born a Buckeye (but claim Tarheel status as well), and whoopie pies seem to hold a solid Ohio connotation (and pack the Amish junk food punch), I decided they needed to become a part of my repetoire. And sweet German Jesus, do I ever like those things! They are like XXXXL double decker cupcakes with a sickly sweet and creamy buttercream icing in between. I copied Colleen and made the edges of the cream filling decorative, and upon the recommendation of a co-worker I adorned the things with rainbow sprinkles. The effect was intoxicatingly carnival-like, both visually and blood sugar-wise. I have every intention of making as many whoopie pies as possible in life. My next big idea is a series of light rock whoopie pies, each individual one containing a light rock themed message appropriate to the eater, kind of like a cupcake version of my light rock cake tradition.

6 comments:

kelly said...

those look so good they make you want to make whoopie! hope all is well for you. come over and meet little will sometime! xo kelly

Girl In An Apron said...

Look at you hangin' out on the Yankee side of the fence!
Nice Dane!

Dusti said...

Holy Sweet Sugary Baby Jesus! This particular treat is totally foreign to me. We must be on the same wavelength because I was just about to make pralines. I have to wrap them up and send them off immediately before I eat more than one or I'll go into a sugar coma. Is this Colleen you speak of Colleen Ricky from high school? If so "Hi Colleen!"

Colleen and Andy said...

those whoopie pies are pretty sexy with sprinkles. I love that you will keep on making them for eternity!

chauncey said...

OMSGJMMS
ohmysweetgermanjesusmakemesome!

meg said...

so. I'm up at 3 am wondering where your recipe is.