Friday, March 12, 2010

Keep it comin'

There is nothing quite like some good old fashioned mail. You know, the kind that involves paper that someone wrote on and bundled up and took down the post office and bought a stamp and gave it to someone who gave it to someone else who gave it to a slew of other people to sort, ship and carry it, and eventually someone brings it to your mailbox. (Hopefully). It's exponentially better than an email or a text message or, hell, even a well crafted blog post in most cases. Am I wrong?

Yesterday I hit the jackpot with mail. Somehow I got to be the lucky recipient of not one, not two, but three packages sent to me in the mail.

Package # 1: A lovely invitation to a wedding at Hickory Nut Gap Farm from two lovely people who I believe first got together at a wedding at the Mountain Magnolia Inn some years ago

Package # 2: A mix CD of songs all about groundhogs (in belated celebration of Groundhog's Day- a favorite of mine), complete with fantastic artwork on the front.





The artist and the compiler of music and the person who sent me the package are one and the same, and her name is Colleen. You can find her at The Houston Social Blog (see my blog list). She's a radical person who doubles as a functional member of society in Cincinnatti. She appreciates art, good food, traditions, humor and community. She also included in the package a recipe for whoopie pie, which I decided I needed to go ahead and make. Whoa! Colleen's husband said they are like homemade Little Debbie's, and I think I must concur.

Package # 3: An "eclectic" bundle of "papers" from dear Ms Emily from the Staton Embassy. Some of the "papers" include (but are not limited to):
* a Git-R-Done temporary tattoo
* notes from a bizarre "sunrise ceremony" that we both attended more than 10 years ago (her own notes on yellow legal paper). Extremely funny.
* A brochure of a cleaning company that very thoroughly states over and over how thoroughly they will clean their clients' cobwebs and knicknacks
*pictures from an old yearbook from the 80s
* an article entitled "Native American Herbal Prescription Sticks"
*an article entitled "Sew a Safety Vest for your Dog"
*an article entitled "An Adventure in Hypthermia"
*some Krispy Kreme valentines
* a few other random tidbits

I am tickled pink with yesterday's mail. And I continue to be most impressed with the high quality of personnel which are my friends. Keep it comin'!

1 comment:

Dusti said...

Yes, YES I love real mail! Your loot sounds all fabulous!!! I am overdue to send out some real mail packages of goodies myself, mayhaps this will inspire me to git-r-done. Yep, I think it will...next week when I'm all better.
Is this Colleen you speak of The Colleen Ricky from high school? You do have THE most fabulous collection of friends. You are friend rich!
Hearts~D