Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Library phenomenon

Today I went to the library to check out (no pun intended) their movie selection. After about 10 or 15 minutes of browsing, I was hit with the urge that I will politely call the library phenomenon. This phenomenon is a very curious thing. 10 out of 10 times that I go to the library, just being there has a laxative effect on me- an effect that cannot be ignored and must be attended to. I know I am not the only person who experiences this phenomenon. I have informally interviewed enough of "the public" to be able to informally conclude that about 50% of Americans are effected in this way.
You may ask "why does this happen?"
I do not know.
But I have a theory that it is the psychic effect of being surrounded by so much information. The quantity of information sends a message of overload to our psychic sensors, which in turn accidentally (or not)sends a message of overload to our intestines. This is the moment which the urge to eliminate occurs.
You may think I am kidding.
I'm not.

9 comments:

jord. said...

Did you find a movie after you, uh, eliminated?

Anonymous said...

did I tell you about Finn? How every time we go to this 1 particular library he tells me Mom I'll be right back -you go away and goes to this one isle (books on tape) to poop? Without fail, more prrof to your theory. I also have a friend with a similar feeling about Target stores.

Anonymous said...

That is a strange one. MHW and Mary D have that same reaction in bookstores, so I assume it would be true in a library, too.

Dana said...

Jordana, yes. I got 3 movies: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, The House of Spirits (movie version of Isabel Allende's novel), and BBC's Walking With Cavemen. I also checked out a CD: The Best of Mahalia Jackson ("the World's Greatest Gospel Singer")

Anonymous said...

This post gave me a fart-attack. Ooops! I meant, heart-attack.

Anonymous said...

rivercane roundbelli says you're not alone sister! it happens to me too.*** stitch and bitch at 7p tues nite at shanes nov 11. it's the first of the season. come if u can.*** i still wanna talk about the airstream phenomena.***blessed be the assimilation and elimination! this or better***rev roundbelli

Dana said...

who is rev. roundbelli? Please... Are your initials LJ?

Anonymous said...

yeah well lp ain't just about records if you know what i mean

Julia said...

I would like to add that Dana has been collecting evidence on this phenomenon since 1993. I believe it was first noticed in the record exchange in Cotswold Mall.