Friday, January 24, 2014

Neighbors

Today has been frigid. The thermometer read zero upon my rising this morning, and I believe it didn't get much out of the teens this afternoon. Tonight was cold enough that my walk home (from the blacktop-the driveway being too icy to drive) caused my face to sting and feel frozen still into a serious face expression. Lately my existence here at home has seemed very solitary, what with my week of self-quarantine with the flu and the snowy and icy weather that inhibits ease of comings and goings to the house. When I am holed up inside, cozying up to the woodstove next to the snoring hound dog, it is all too quickly that I lose perspective about my place in the scheme of things out here in this sweet little tucked away watershed.
I need simply to step outside to fetch another armload of logs for my reminder that I am very much not alone here.
Last night on my walk home I was startled by the white flash of a deer's tail, immediately followed by the scurrying crunch of hooves in the snow.
This morning, when it was zero, I was greeted by the sweet four-toned melody of one brave chickadee. It sounded like springtime, and the heart was warmed.
Tonight my lullaby is a handful of coyotes howling under the cold, clear starry display of night sky- their cries like souls from the Otherworld, a perfect soundtrack for mid-winter dreaming.

Here directly I will feed the fire one last time and head up to slumber, grateful for all my neighbors. I hope they stay warm enough tonight.

8 comments:

Girl In An Apron said...

can i get a helz yeah!

Unknown said...

Sweet!!

Dana said...

Rachel and Eddie,
Thanks for continuing to read what seems to have accidentally become a nature blog. That makes me think- maybe I'll switch it up one time. By the way Eddie, I've been working on your essay on flirting. Might not post it here. If not, I'll send you and L an email attachment. Enjoy the balmy 40 degrees today!

Girl In An Apron said...

Thanks for continuing to muse and share! LOVE it all!

Btw: just pulled J's german chocolate cake out of the oven. I think you're going to need to stop by.

Unknown said...

When Rachel??????

Girl In An Apron said...

too late E. it went fast!

Allen Frost, Advanced Certified Rolfer said...

Have really enjoyed reading about your experiences of living alone in the woods during the winter. Makes me feel not so alone. If you want an added winter experience, get you some animals to take care of.

Dana said...

Allen! What a trippy winter to be living alone in the woods! I've had highs and lows with it for sure. I have the bonus of having killer neighbors who are practically like family, who delivered food and medicine to my door when I had the flu for a week. We are covered in snow right now. No one can drive the driveway. And to comment on your suggestion, I think I would nut up with farm animals to take care of! I'm already having a time of it with an aging hound dog who seems to have cabin fever. I would like to work out a trout raising project though- that sounds more do-able. I hope you and all of your furry, feathered and finned companions are weathering this month just fine. It will pass soon!