Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Biophilia

Some of you may know that I receive the Miriam-Webster Word of the Day every day on email. Depending on the word, some days I just delete it without reading the whole etomology or even definition, but usually my interest is peaked and I look at it. The other day the word of the day was "biophilia," meaning " a hypothetical human tendency to interact or be closely associated with other forms of life in nature."

HOW GREAT IS THAT?

I am all about that jazz. If fact, just yesterday I was sitting outside watching a family of elusive otters play in the creek, riding the rapids and swimming here and there, and all the while I was talking real pretty to them, telling them (quietly and from a distance) how precious and cute they are. The other evening I hiked up along one of the branches that feeds the French Broad just outside town, and I found myself talking nice and pretty to all manners of spring wildflowers I found growing along the banks and on the hills. I love me some other forms of life in nature, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to do my damnedest to have me some interactions with them, be it talking pretty to a flower, caring for a wounded bird, eating a wild mushroom or deer or worshipping the very river itself. How hypothetical is that, Miriam? Huh?



Speaking of interacting with other life forms, what is about 6 ft 2, Belgium and not afraid to wear black leather pants, a vest with no shirt on underneath, and chant in a deep voice to an audience of mostly women, "Cold hard pimpin in my Jonathan Youngs...Scuffed honky kickers- tight as my guns..."? Yeah, that's right. My life is awesome. God and Daniel Boone bless our human tendency to get into more of it than just our own skin and bones.

This world is too much with me. I love it.

5 comments:

Chaunce said...

You are my hero.

Anonymous said...

No MINE>

Laura said...

AMEN.

Anonymous said...

i love your life so much it makes me cry. (i also talk pretty to the creatures and plant/tree forms all around me, and i try to send them all blessings as much as possible.) thank you for keeping a blog so that i can live part of your life even from this distance. (emmie)

Dusti said...

Oh Dana Dee, how I love thee. Seriously, this is one of my favorite parts about you; you dig on nature with the same full throttle, unbridled enthusiasm as me, and that's not easily come by. THANK YOU.