Friday, November 12, 2010

The Keds

The year was 1993. The setting was suburban south Charlotte. Julie and I were about 17 and connected at the hip "blood sisters." We were about one half straight edge, one half granola, and one half pure wacko. High school mostly sucked and in all of our free time we journeyed out into the world of Charlotte and its surrounding chaos, seeking meaning and beauty-- and finding ourselves laughing a lot in the process. Funds were sparce- our jobs as hostesses at the Old Spaghetti Factory only afforded us gas money to power my 1979 doo doo brown Pontiac Catalina, "The Brown Rocket," which could comfortably seat 3 in the front and 4 in the back. We would get up real early in the morning sometimes and drive it out of the city 45 minutes to the nearest mountain, Crowders, and climb up for daybreak, breathing in something we considered purer nature than the trail that ran through our adjoining neighborhoods (something we walked everyday eating honeysuckles and keeping tabs on the pair of red tailed hawks that nested there.) We would hurry down the mountain and load back up in the Rocket and still make it to school on time. I guess with any money we had left, we would buy cassettes and records at the local neighborhood record shop. Once I bought Julie a cd- that was a new thing back then. It was Dead Can Dance "Into the Labryinth." That was the only cd I bought.


Daytime fun for us was easy and covered- go outside and study nature. Night life was a challenge. Of course we weren't tired, even after all our tromping around, because we were teenagers. We probably would have been content to walk around at night too, listening for owls and watching cockroaches climb out of the sewer and sneak around the asphalt toward the houses. But our moms would not let us wander around at night for fear of our lives and well being. So we had to get creative.


Once we went to a Krispy Kreme late night and took pictures of people coming out of the restroom. We got a good one of a man with an embarrassed look on his face coming out of the women's. A lot of nights we would talk for hours on end to our friend BTW who lived in Davidson, wore only black, was a bona fide genius and chess champion, loved the night sky and didn't like very many people other than us. Sometimes we would go out to a coffee shop called something like the Penny Cafe, where the lighting was low and there was mellow jazz music playing and people were quietly enjoying books or a game of chess. This was real good. We would buy one cup of peppermint tea and stay for hours. But one of the owners supposedly overdosed, and they quit letting people under 18 in there.


There were a lot of nights when, desperate for some stimulation of any kind, we would go down to the 24 hour Harris Teeter mega grocery store and wander around (always ending up on aisle 14 to pay comical homage to this weird chocolate spread product called Crumpy). Then we would go next door to Borders Books and people watch while sampling music and looking at the books we couldn't afford to buy. The particular event I want to relay to you now occurred one of those nights at Borders.

Julie and I had gone in to Borders yet again, just for something to do. I think they closed at 10:00, and it must have been sometime after 9:00 that we were in there. We were particularly restless that night, at least I was, and I couldn't seem to focus on anything. I was wandering around the store wishing Charlotte didn't suck. Nature called and I told Julie I was going into the bathroom. She said she would come too (you know, girls always go to the bathroom in pairs...) There were 3 stalls in the bathroom, and the middle stall was occupied by someone wearing a pair of dayglow white spotless Keds, about size 6. The person was still and quiet. I took one outside stall, and Julie took the other.

I don't remember whether I sat down on the commode or if I just squatted over it. All I know is that out of nowhere, I mean I really didn't know it was coming AT ALL, blasted what is likely the loudest most forceful fart of all time of humanity. It was so loud it sounded like a cannon. It was epic, the stuff legends are made of, like a catacalysmic explosive from the Otherworld. Something perhaps channelled from Thor, the thunder god. What followed is something that I will ponder for the rest of my life.

After a brief moment where I was stunned in space and time, I began laughing. The laughter erupted from deep deep within, like water that had been dammed for a long long time. I laughed in convuslive waves that felt almost like vomit. I laughed and laughed until I almost fell down in the stall. It was a painful laughter, something totally and completely out of my control. It was an epic laughter- a laughter of a degree that may never be experienced by me again in my life. And it went on and on for about 10 minutes. I could hear Julie over there, laughing and laughing like a muppet in the other stall. I don't know if the laughter hurt for her as well, but I suspect it did. And all the while, the Keds in the middle stalled, the brand new dayglow white size 6's, NEVER BUDGED, NOT AN INCH OR EVEN A CENTIMETER. Not a single peep or movement came out of the center stall. NOT FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION OF THE WHOLE EVENT.

And that is something I will ponder for the rest of my life.

Sometimes Julie and I still talk about the Keds. What in the name of God and everything holy on this planet was that woman doing in there? Was she OK? Perhaps she went to some safe place in her psyche, curled up in a fetal position and rode it out that way. Perhaps she came face to face with her Maker. Did she look Thor in the eye and reckon with him, with very still feet? Whenever I think about the whole thing I get a feeling deep within, a reminder of the illusion of control. It is like a renewed awareness of the pressure of the dam, holding back the pool of laughter and farts.

This story is for you, Julie.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Epic laughter... I love it! You have a wonderful way with words. It was almost as though I was in the stall with you. Ewwwwww!

Julia said...

Just like back then- I can hardly breath right now. First let me say, Thank you. It is a beautifully written account of one of the most memorable moments of my life. Second, I would like to add one detail. I don't know if you experienced this or not, but part of the craziness of the situation was that I didn't know if the fart came from you or from Keds. I remember learning that it was Keds that farted after we got out of the bathroom and even though that revelation was a whole other load of hilarity to me, I couldn't laugh as hard because I was just so tired.

And lastly, you will see that both of us refer to her simply as "Keds." I've tried to picture the face of the person attached to those shoes but my mind won't let me. Maybe it is because if I put a face to that fart- I would feel some of the mortification that she felt in that moment. Whatever it is... I love you Keds and I love you Dane!
Julie

Girl In An Apron said...

Well done Dane! I wish I could be more like the keds chick. That's one cool kitten.

meg said...

Made. my. night.

chauncey said...

I know you say that story is for Julie, but isn't it really for all of humanity?

I sure think it is.

illianawilson said...

Hilarious!

Milkweed said...

Oh my lord. Nothing could make my morning happier than reading this post, helpfully tagged "farts, Keds, shoes, straight edge, Thor" this slow sunday morning.

Catching up with what's been happening in dana dee blogland is such a satisfying way to spend a weekend morning.

Miss you and love you, D-D! And thank you for making that fart so real for me.

Milkweed said...

PS: If we had known each other as bored teenagers, I think we would have been fast friends. I spent a lot of time with MY friend Julie doing very similar things, as we were also a combo of straight edge, hippie, and weird. We used to hang out a lot at a diner called Smiley's and eat grilled cheese sandwiches, or go to Dollywood on our season passes and ride the big tall swings and hurl snap-n-pops (those little exploding things that make a loud pop when they hit the ground)down on the unsuspecting theme park visitors far below. Ah, those were the days.

Unknown said...

wait, IT WASN'T YOU?!! its a good thing i sometimes read the comments!

Miss Windy Sandbritches said...

I don't appreciate being the butt of your jokes. Constipation and big anus syndrome is nothing to smile at! In future you will cease telling my story as I have signed a three book deal with Little Brown to get the real story out of what occurred in that Charlotte stall in 1993 and when it does come out it will blow the lid off the establishment. Rest assured you have not heard the last from me!

Miss Windy Sandbritches said...

I don't appreciate being the butt of your jokes. Constipation and big anus syndrome is nothing to smile at! In future you will cease telling my story as I have signed a three book deal with Little Brown to get the real story out of what occurred in that Charlotte stall in 1993 and when it does come out it will blow the lid off the establishment. Rest assured you have not heard the last from me!

Elizabeth said...

Made the mistake of reading this at work. Can't stop laughing. Can't believe I wasn't with you guys that night. Sounds like so many others. Crowder's Mountain. Lupie's. Freedom Park. Penny University. The big HT. Borders. Wow. Did you hear that they're closing that Borders?
Without you and Julie I would never have made it out of high school and Charlotte with enough sanity left to have a life. And now I have a little kid who deserves a pair of Keds! Love Elizabeth

PS_ Do you ever imagine how our lives would have been different then if we'd had the Internet?

Dusti said...

Wow, another literary landmark established by the Great Dana Nagle! Seriously!!! I laughed my big southern ass almost totally off reading this. And yet it is still profound and beautiful! P.S. I love remembering that year and thinking of you two, I think it was a year before I rolled up on yo set. I can't believe all the genius awesomeness I missed out on! I totally remember Ben-Jamin'T Williams and how he adored you. Do y'all still keep in touch? I remember meeting him at your house and I could tell he was a for realsies serious smarty-pants and you two just busted each other's balls in a sweet way the whole time. AND I had that CD. I never knew that was the only one you ever bought. What a trip! Ooh, I just remembered Jenna gave me a Primus CD she didn't want...or was it the other way around...? Can't remember.
I've been thinking lots lately about friends and "soul friends" or "Ka-mates" as it's known in one of my favorite books. Went runnin' around in nature all weekend with Bran and everything made me think of you and how you are livin' The Dream up there. I am so delighted to know you and I think you are a total Nature Gangsta, or Rock Star. Either way, you're the breastest Starla:)
I Love You!

Anonymous said...

I bet that girl in the middle was a worker at Borders who was so freakin embarrassed that she couldn't get up for fear of you seeing her face as she left the bathroom. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she had a blog on blogger somewhere and has written about the epic mortification (though not as mortified as Larry Craig when his bathroom deed went public). Further, I bet that girl didn't wear those Keds to Borders ever again for fear of being recognized.